Friday, December 24, 2004

Straightening things out...the Japanese Way...

I forced myself out of bed early Tuesday morning, even though I was exhausted from the previous day of driving...I managed to get out of bed early because I had an 11:30 appointment to have my hair straightened, the Japanese way...I was very nervous, not because of the straightening process in which I was going to undergo if the consultation goes well, but it was the fact that I had to find my way to this a hair salon which I have never been, located on Sawtelle blvd in Santa Monica, also a road name which sounded very unfamiliar to me...I felt sorry for not going back to Riqco, my hairdresser, this year, but I had no choice as their Salon didn't have anybody that was qualified to do the hair straighteing process...and not many places in LA provided this kind of service either...so I had no choice this time...

After I woke up, I ventured into the kitchen and made myself a big cup of coffee, then proceeded to the bar area to go online to mapquest.com, to find the directions to Taka Hair Salon...and looking at a printout of the directions, it seemed to me that it was not going to be too difficult to get there...and so I was relieved... the diretions turned out to be precise and easy to follow, as I found the Hair Salon and parked my car, in their rear parking lot...

When I walked into the salon, the receptionist confirmed my name and sat me down at a waiting area to fill out a questionaire with the usual questions like address, name ,birthday, phone number , and wherther or not I had undergone this straightening process before and whether I am pregnant blah blah blah...then after Miravella, looked through the form, she sat me down in the chair, and a Japanese woman came out to examine my hair condition, she told me that it would not be possible to do this if my hair was in very bad condition, but upon close examination, she determined that my hair was very coarse, but the hair condition was not so bad and therefore doable...once again I was relieved knowing that I would be able to have everything done by the same day...

Before Miravella, began the process, she took a before picture of my hair with a polaroid camera...Miravella would be the person doing my hair straightening for most of the day, with some help from the others, as this was a very long and grueling process, where they can't miss a single strand of hair...seeing that I was bored while having my hair done, the receptionist brought me some fashion magazines, then brought me some coffee...and then at lunchtime, Miravella orderd me a grilled chicken sandwich, which by the way, was absolutely delicious...

I think that day I was the only customer who spent the longest time there, as I saw customers, most of which were Japanese, come and go to get their hair done...by dinner time, they asked me whether I wanted some food...but this time I declined because I was too exhausted to eat, and only hoped to get this whole thing done and over with...after eight hours...everything was done and my hair was perfectly straight...and my coarse hair never felt so shiny, so silky and soo smooth...Miravella said that I was blessed with a lot of hair...and I thought to myself, oh yes, I was born with a lot of hair too!...and maybe that's why it took so long to have my body of hair straightened...As I got up to stretch my legs, Miravella took an after picture of my new hair...and recommended to me a bunch of products to maintain the hair...I was a bit disappointed as I thought it was maintenance free...but at least it does not require hair brushing, and when I wake up in the morning my hair would be perfectly straight...when I step out of the shower, my har would still remain perfectly straight and orderly...and to me that was good enough compared to my old tangled hair...

After I paid...the receptionist showed me the before and after pictures, and that made me realize that I had been living with very bad hair for te past 24 years o my life, yikes...my old hair was just a complete mess...but at least this whole eight hour process achieved what I was looking for...very orderly hair...so I thought if I am going to pull all-nighters in studio or at home for my desgin projects...at least I can show up to final presentation with good hair, from now on...I think I must be really slow or something, I mean most asians get their hair straightened and enhjoy the benefits of it...and I only get it now...I must be really slow in the trend of personal grooming...

So this appointment that I had made, in the spur of the moment while waiting for my flight at Newark Airport, was definitely worth it...and I was glad that everything that was messy about my hair, got straightened out, once and for all...if only life could be straightened out this easily, then everything would be perfect, straightforward and crystal clear...but life as it is will always be more complicated than that...and will never be a straightforward one either...but for now...it's good to be in LA, with one less problem in my life...my complicated years of bad hair, finally straightened out...and problem, finally solved...

4 Comments:

Blogger mr. fry said...

i'm really interested to see how you look like now. but i'm more interested to see how you look like when you're stressed out looking like shit but still having great hair.

~mr. fry

5:23 PM  
Blogger Alice Lin said...

yep, u should post ur picture here. I wanna see ur new style too!

3:48 PM  
Blogger mr. fry said...

saw lilly dee yesterday.. she looks good with the straight hair. i surprised her by taking her picture but i think she'll kill me if i put it online...

2:29 PM  
Blogger mr. fry said...

happy new year!

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home